If the indefensible murder of George Floyd was not already enough, last night we watched in horror as our people were shot at, tear gassed and beaten.
This moment calls for us to unite around the outrage we feel and fight for the justice we demand.
Now is the time to stand up and speak out as we guide our communities and our nation to the right side of justice.
Use this moment to ensure that your Unit is positioned to respond to any issues that may arise in your community.
- Identify if their local municipalities have standing Citizen’s Review Boards – (These should be “Review” boards not “Advisory” boards), with subpoena power. If not, units should identify what accountability structures their municipalities have in place.
- Review of their Police Department’s Use of Force Continuum ensuring that they have at least 6 levels of steps, with clear rules on escalation.
- Demand that Police Departments ban the use of Knee Holds as acceptable in Use of Force Continuums.
- Review of their State’s Open Records Acts to determine if Officer misconduct information and disciplinary histories are shielded from the public.
- Review of their Police Department’s record of disciplining or charging Officers charged with Misconduct.
- Demand a Statewide review board for Police officers who use deadly force – tied to recertification credentials.
- Determine when their District Attorney will be up for election.
President and CEO